Friday, December 23, 2005

My son wants to be a landlord when he grows up.

My son wants to be a landlord when he grows up. Why? Because that's what his Dad does for a living. Or a dying. You call this a living? Sometimes I do other things like consulting, whoring out my mind, because it pays the bills. I would do more landlording but, it is a seller's market not a buyers market. Rule #1 buy in a buyers market and sell in a sellers market. I’m just waiting for a buyers market to return, or at least some equilibrium before I try to buy anymore.

Why "Cil my landlord?" Back in the days when Saturday Night Live was funny, Eddie Murphy did this skit where he was supposed to be a poor, black, angry tenant. He recited a poem that went in part:

Kill my land lord, kill my landlord.
C-I-L my landlord.

This sentiment is shared by tenants throughout America and probably the world. So what else should I call a blog about landlording?

I want to make it clear that I despise the term landlord. It is so feudal. It has less to do with land and more with the buildings on them. And what about the lord part? yeecccch. I prefer to think of myself as a "Professional Property Manager focusing on the affordable housing sector." When I told people this in the past they screeched with laughter and labeled me a "Slumlord." Wanna make your landlord, err, professional property manager bristle? Call him a slumlord.

This blog is also about investing in real estate. Making money. Getting advice. And hopefully helping me launch my career as a real estate get-rich-quick-guru-cum-author, launching me onto the lecture circuit where I can hawk my CDs for only $899.00, if you act now.

There I did it. After thinking about it, talking about and thinking about it some more, I started my blog. Cil my landlord.

No comments: